Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of the Association of Surgeons of India Held at Virtual Platform on 10th January 2021
The meeting of the Executive Committee (EC) of the ASI was held on Virtual Zoom Platform on 10th January 2021 at 9.30 am. The President, Dr. Abhay Dalvi chaired the meeting.
The following members attended the meeting
1. Dr. Abhay Dalvi, President
2. Dr. G. Siddesh, Vice President
3. Dr. P. Raghu Ram, Immediate Past President
4. Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain, Bhopal
5. Dr. C R K Prasad, Hyderabad
6. Dr. P V Ramana Murthy, Vijayawada
7. Dr. Ganni Bhaskara Rao, Rajhamundry
8. Dr. H V Shivaram, Bangalore
9. Dr. Ashok Godhi, Belagavi
10. Dr. G Chandrasekar, Chennai
11. Dr. Rajgopal Shenoy, Manipal
12. Dr. K N Srivastava, New Delhi
13. Dr. C K Durga, New Delhi
14. Dr. Pawanindra Lal, New Delhi
15. Dr. Makhan Lal Saha, Kolkata
16. Dr. Sanjay De Bakshi, Kolkata
17. Dr. Prabir Bijoy Kar, Kolkata
18. Dr. Banabihari Mishra, Cuttack
19. Dr. Deepak Chawla, Jalandhar
20. Dr. L Sridhar, Hyderabad
21. Dr. Nikhil Singh, Lucknow
22. Dr. Amit Srivastava, Agra
23. Dr. Sunil Kumar, Jamshedpur
24. Dr. B K C Mohan Prasad, Madurai
25. Dr. D Maruthu Pandian, Madurai
26. Dr. Prabha Om, Jaipur
27. Dr. Bhanwar Lal Yadav, Jaipur
28. Dr. Gunwant H Rathod, Ahmedabad
29. Dr. Kaushik Gajjar, Ahmedabad
30. Dr. Rajan B Patel, Ahmedabad
31. Dr. S S Bhardwaj, Bhiwani
32. Dr. Kartar Singh Yadav, Rewari
33. Dr. G Santa Rao, Visakhapatanam
34. Dr. S R Subrammaniyan, Chennai
35. Dr. Probal Neogi, Allahabad
36. Dr. C J Varghese, Thrissur
37. Dr. P Rajan, Kozhikode
38. Dr. Mohamed Ismail, Malappuram
39. Dr. R C Sreekumar, Trivandrum
40. Dr. Roysuneel V. Patankar, Mumbai
41. Dr. Pravin Suryawanshi, Aurangabad
42. Dr. A M Quraishi, Nagpur
43. Dr. PratapsinhVarute, Kolhapur
44. Dr. Achal Gupta, Gwalior
45. Dr. Anand Kumar Mishra, Lucknow
46. Dr. D. Bhaumik, Kolkata
47. Dr. Raj Kamal Jenaw, Jaipur
48. Dr. N P Narain, Patna
49. Dr. Sreejoy Patnaik, Cuttack
50. Dr. Santhosh John Abraham, Director of Academics
51. Dr. Sandeep Kumar, Chief Editor IJoS
1. Welcome address: Dr. Abhay Dalvi, President ASI 2021
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi called the meeting to order. President ASI 2021 welcomed all the Principal Office Bearers, all the Executive Committee Members and Special Invitees for the Meeting. President Dr. Abhay Dalvi informed that he will go by collective decision and not by any individual decision, adhering to the constitution and follow the GB ratification. President Dr. Abhay Dalvi congratulated Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain, Honorary Secretary and Dr. C R K Prasad, Honorary Treasurer for their excellent work in the past years. Dr. Abhay Dalvi, President ASI 2021 requested Dr. P. Raghu Ram, Immediate Past President to continue his help during the year 2021. Dr. Abhay Dalvi, President ASI 2021 appreciated Dr. Santhosh John Abraham for the success of Virtual ASICON 2020. He also requested him to continue for the year 2021and takes anyone helps as per his decision. Dr. Abhay Dalvi also commended Dr. Sandeep Kumar, Editor-in-Chief IJoS for his excellent work during 2019. Dr. Dalvi also clarified that Hon Secretary Office is the principal communication center for official correspondence and will appraise all during the EC meetings about the happenings
Honorary Secretary ASI, Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain informed the house about the sad demise of the following members who had offered their valuable services to ASI and are not amongst us today.
1. Dr. Manoj S Jain FL 6969 Solapur
2. Dr. P K Gupta FL 9660 Bhopal
The House observed a minute’s silence in memory of the departed souls.
3. Honorary Secretary’s Report – Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain, Hon. Secretary ASI
I warmly welcome President Dr. Abhay Dalvi, Vice President Dr. G. Siddesh, Immediate Past President Dr. P. Raghu Ram, the Executive Committee members, Dr. Santhosh John Abraham, Director – Academic Council and Dr. Sandeep Kumar, Chief Editor IJS, Special invitees for this meeting.
I am grateful to the President Dr. Abhay Dalvi and all Executive Committee Members for giving me an opportunity to serve as Honorary Secretary of this esteemed association.
I thank our Honorary Treasurer Dr. C R K Prasad who has always extended his best co-operation to me.
For the General Information’s
- ASICON 2020 (First Ever Virtual ASICON) was grand success.
- Republic Day Flag hoisting ceremony was planned by our President Dr. Abhay Dalvi on 26th January 2021 at ASI Headquarters and willing members may join the same.
- Date for Chapters & Sections Meeting will be announced shortly.
- Minutes of the General Body Meeting held on 19.12.2020 have been uploaded in ASI Website.
- Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting held on 13th & 20th December 2020 has been circulated to all EC Members.
- Hand Book 2021 is under preparation and will be released shortly.
- Change of Chairman & Secretaries of State Chapter & Sections are updating on ASI Website.
- Membership strength is very vital for the growth of the organization. The Membership fee is being increased to Rs. 10,000/- from 1st April 2018 exclusive of GST. I urge each and every one of you to motivate PG’s and Surgeons to become ASI members and avail the benefits.
- Chapter dues for the year 2020 workings are under progress and will be disbursed who had submitted their audited accounts statement before 30th June 2021.
- Orations and awards for the year 2021 has been already announced in the last Meeting.
Proposed Symposium for ASICON 2021are as follows:
1. Dr. Ramya B, Chennai – Surgical Education-Challenges & Solutions
2. Dr. Ankur Maheshwari, Indore – Tuberculosis – Surgical Perspectives
3. Dr. Narendra Ganguly, Jorhat – Postoperative Biliary leak-The paths to follow!!!!
Secretary Report was proposed by Dr. G. Siddesh and Seconded by Dr. R C Sreekumar
4. Approval of the Minutes of EC Meeting held on 13th December 2020
The Honorary Secretary informed the house that the Minutes of the EC Meeting held on 13th December 2020 had already been circulated and ratified in the GBM on 19.12.2020. The house unanimously passed it.
5. Approval of the Minutes of New EC Meeting held on 20th December 2020
The Honorary Secretary informed the house that the Minutes of the EC Meeting held on 20th December 2020 had already been circulated. The house unanimously passed it – proposed and seconded by Dr. Sreekumar and Dr. Pawanindra Lal respectively.
6. Action taken on the Minutes – Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain, Hon. Secretary ASIv
Honorary Secretary presented the report of action taken on last Executive Committee Meeting, it was passed and approved.
- Condolence: Demised members (27) have been deleted from the main list.
- Upgradation of Membership from Associate to Full Life member has been done those who have submitted their MS Degree certificate.
- Change of guard has been under process.
- New account opening in the Name of Dr. P V Chalapathi Rao Oration is under processv
- As per the decision of the Executive Committee, Kanpur has been recognized a City Branch of ASI under Uttar Pradesh State Chapter of ASI. Certificate of recognition have been sent to respective State Chapter Secretary.
- Letter sent to selected awardees / Orators for ASICON 2021.
- Certificate, Citation & Memento sent to ASI Life Time Achievement awardees 2020
- Certificate sent to ASI Social Services awardees for the year 2020
- Mail sent to Dr. Niranjan Agarwal regarding eligibility of the office bearers of the Specialty Sections to contest for a position on National Executive Committee
- Mail sent to Dr. Sharad Desai, Secretary – IASO Section
- Mail sent to Dr. Ravi Kanojia, Secretary – IAPS Section
- ASI amended Constitution (soft copy) sent to all Executive Committee Members
- Minutes of the General Body Meeting held on 19.12.2020 has been uploaded in ASI Website.
- Mail sent to Delhi State Chapter to reconduct the elections of President Elect 2021
Honorary Secretary Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain informed about the decision taken for Delhi State Chapter on 13th December and the same was ratified in GBM held on 19th December and he requested the President Dr. Abhay Dalvi to inform about the remarks received from Delhi State Chapter.
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi informed to the house that it was already discussed and passed in GBM due to following reasons.
1. On perusal of the Delhi State Chapter Constitution, the elections held for the post of VP (2021) and President (2022) of the ASI – Delhi State Chapter; the same was not followed.
2. This came in the wake of declaring a person elected who was not eligible as per the embargo imposed as a condition to revocation of his termination
President concluded that Delhi State Chapter should re-conduct the Election without Dr. Shubhash Aggarwal as a contestant under the direction of ASI.
Dr. Pawanindra Lal informed about the EC Meetings conducted by Delhi State Chapter and Communications received from ASI Headquarters. To this he needs clarifications from ASI and the same will be placed before the EC of Delhi State Chapter to proceed further.
Finally, President Dr. Abhay Dalvi requested him to settle the issue amicably, since the decisions were already passed in EC and GB.
Dr. C K Durga informed about her conversation with Dr. Subhash Aggarwal and that Dr. Aggarwal was adamant and it may result in a court issue. To this President Dr. Abhay Dalvi replied that if he so wishes, he should file a case only in Chennai as per the Constitution. Dr. K N Srivastava fully agree with President’s points and he confirmed that we will follow as per the Constitution and it will follow in future also.
Honorary Secretary Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain shared a video clip of EC Meeting held on 30th & 31st March 2019 at ASI Headquarters regarding revocation of Dr. Subhash Aggarwal Membership and not to hold any major posts. In the said clip, Dr. Arvind Kumar (President 2019) urges for restoration of Dr. Aggarwal’s membership. Dr. Arvind Kumar assures the EC to ensure “no court case by Dr. Aggarwal” and embargo for five years.
Honorary Secretary Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain presented the letter issued by Dr. Arvind Kumar to Dr. Subhash Aggarwal on 20.12.2019 which did not mention about the 5-year embargo. The Hon Secretary requested the house to pass a resolution to cancel such a letter issued by Dr. Arvind Kumar.
Dr. P. Raghu Ram, Immediate Past President expressed regret about the issuance of unauthorized / illegal letter by President 2019 for creation of such problem.
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi requested the house to pass a resolution to cancel the unauthorized and “content changed” letter sent by then President Dr. Arvind Kumar. After due discussion, the house unanimously passed the resolution. Proposed by Dr. Nikhil Singh and Seconded by Dr. Ashok Godhi.
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi once again requested the Delhi State Chapter Executive Committee to convince and conduct the fresh election. To this Dr. Pawnindra Lal requested a fresh letter from ASI. President replied that the request is granted and a letter to that effect will come from ASI Headquarters shortly.
Honorary Secretary Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain also requested the house to pass a second resolution to declare the Delhi State Chapter Election as null and void and direct them to conduct a fresh election. The Violation of the
Constitution of ASI – Delhi State Chapter were as follows:
1. Three-member committee chaired by the chief election officer is not in place (XIII.4 -2) and (XIII.4-9) amongst more about Dr. Subhash Aggarwal being allowed to contest when the EC members were privy to information of the embargo. ASI EC members are part of the ASI – Delhi Chapter EC. (XII.2)
After the lengthy discussion, the house passed the resolution. Proposed by Dr P. Rajan and Seconded by Dr Prabha Om
Dr. G Siddesh, Vice President requested the Headquarters to issue a fresh letter in detail and pass a corrigendum to solve the problem.
7. Academic activities – for the year 2021 Dr. Santhosh John Abraham
Dr. Santhosh John Abraham, Director – Academic Council informed the house about the discussion with the wish of the President regarding list of common operations that PGs have lost on due to COVID pandemic and its starts from February every second week. RRC will go with some changes and he requested the EC Members to help to get the data of Postgraduates and he appreciated Dr. B L Yadav and his team of Rajasthan and team of Gujarat Dr. Hitesh Andharia and
Dr. Pankaj Modi for getting the data at a single shot. Regarding NSEP will be in regular programs for the benefit of PG’s and practicing surgeons.
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi requested Dr. Pawanindra Lal to continue with the Skill Enhancement Program.
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi requested Dr. Roy Patankar to continue with the Endoscopy Program.
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi requested Dr. Pravin Suryawanshi to continue with the Accreditation program.
President also requested the EC to volunteer and help Director Academics with any help to enhance the image of ASI in furthering the academic contributions to surgeons and PGs
Honorary Secretary Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain informed about the mail received from Dr. S Soppimath regarding Endoscopy will comes in curriculum of MS Surgery. He requested Dr. Pawanindra Lal to suggest in this regard. To this Dr. Pawanindra Lal replied that it will be discussed in the Specialty Board of General Surgery soon and the National Board decided to invite Dr. Abhay Dalvi, President ASI as Special Invitee for discussion and will be added in Curriculum as a mandatory part.
Dr. G Siddesh, Vice President ASI suggested to include the Scientific Data publications, Workshops conducting by Dr. Lakshman and his team under NSEP. To this President Dr. Abhay Dalvi replied that it will be included in PG’ program.
8. Social Welfare Council – Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain, Hon. Secretary ASI
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi suggested the name of Dr. Dilip Gode, Past President ASI doing many programs like free operative camps in the remote places for AMASI and President ASI requested him to take over for ASI also. Dr. Dilip Gode agreed and he proposed Dr. Makhan Lal Saha and other committee members will be announced shortly.
9. Head Quarters matters – Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain, Hon. Secretary ASI
Honorary Secretary Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain informed the house that Land lease payment of Rs 70 lakhs was paid to Tamil Nadu Government and the copy of Bank challan was received.
Republic Day was planned by our President Dr. Abhay Dalvi on 26th January and the Invitation will be sent to all the EC Members shortly.
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi requested Dr. Sanjay Jain to inform about the remuneration/ incentive of ASI Staff’s for the additional work made for ASICON that was done.
Honorary Secretary Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain thanked Dr. P. Raghu Ram for arranging Health Insurance for the period of 5 years to ASI Staff’s.
Honorary Secretary presented the membership details as follows.
a) Advancement from Associate Members to Full Members – 53
b) List of New Members enrolled from 06.12.2020 – 10.01.2021 – 152
c) Details of Membership Strength as on 10th January 2021 – 27754
House approved the New Memberships. Proposed by Dr. Achal Gupta and Seconded by Dr. Sanjay De Bakshi.
11. Election matters – Dr. G Siddesh, Chief Election Officer
Dr. G. Siddesh, Vice President ASI thanked all the members and Dr. P. Raghu Ram & Dr. Abhay Dalvi and he requested them to support for the conduction of Election in a fair manner. He requested the house to approve to send a mail to Associate Members to become a Full Life Member to allow them to participate in the Election.
Dr. G. Siddesh, Vice President ASI announced the names of Election Office Bearers. Dr. Achal Gupta and Dr. S R Subrammaniyan.
Further to the restrictions in place, it was also decided to issue only Mobile Numbers of eligible voters to candidates and email id will be not be provided.
a. Brief on accounting policies
b. Unaudited accounts statement for ASI & Building a/c 01.04.20 to 31.12.20
Hon. Treasurer Dr. C. R. K. Prasad briefed the accounting policies and he presented the unaudited account for the period 01.04.20 to 31.12.20.
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi thanked Dr. P. Raghu Ram who handled single handed Virtual ASICON 2020 and he has contributed more than 30 lakhs as per the MOU and the accounts are transparent. He also thanked Dr. Santhosh John
Abraham for the academic part during Virtual ASICON 2020.
To this Dr. P. Raghu Ram thanked President ASI for his kind words and he briefed about the income parts vide Sponsorships and following up those who have not yet paid. He also briefed about the accounting policies made during the Virtual ASICON 2020. He informed the house that 46 lacs have been received as sponsorship another 12 lacs are due, 16 lacs 40 thousand as registration money and expected expenditure of about 16 lacs making savings close to 60 lacs as profit to ASI more than 2018 & 2019. He followed strict accounting policies to maintain utmost transparency.
13. IJS report – Dr. Sandeep Kumar, Chief Editor IJoS
Dr. Sandeep Kumar, Chief Editor – IJoS thanked all the Principal Office Bearers with New Year Greetings and he presented a brief report for 2019-20. The first response time to manuscript reduced from some 120 days to less than 30 days. Acceptance to publication time has been reduced from 200 days to less than 20 days. Number of manuscripts received and processed has gone up from approx. 1000 per year to 2200 in 2020. The 5-year impact factor has risen from 0.587 to 0.726. Dr. Sandeep Kumar, Chief Editor – IJoS presented the revenue earned in detail.
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi congratulated Prof. Sandeep Kumar & the Editorial team for their excellent work.
Dr. Sandeep Kumar, Chief Editor – IJoS requested President Dr. Abhay Dalvi to write a message for publish in IJoS.
14. Social Security Scheme (SSS) –
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi requested 15 EC Members those who have not yet joined in ASI Social Security Scheme and being a part of ASI and urged the EC to strive hard to increase the subscribers
15. ASICON 2018 – Audited accounts
Honorary Secretary Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain informed to the house about the queries raised by ASI Auditor’s and the same was submitted to Organizers of ASICON 2018. The reply received from Dr. Vinayak Senthil few hours before the Meeting i.e. late night, hence Committee Members have no time inspect the replies.
Immediate Past President Dr. P. Raghu Ram suggested to pass the same to ASI Auditor’s for investigate and later will examine and it will discuss during the next EC Meeting.
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi suggested to have a separate meeting with ASI Auditors along with Dr. Vinayak Senthil to settle this issue and finish it.
16. ASICON 2019 – Audited accounts
Honorary Secretary Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain informed to the house regarding formation of Committee done by Dr. Raghu Ram (President 2020) headed by Dr. Abhay Dalvi (President 2021), Dr. Siddesh (Vice-President) and Dr. CRK Prasad (Hon Treasurer) and they are looking into the matter. The first meeting with Organizers of ASICON 2019 happened on 6th January 2021 and the organizers were appraised about the queries raised by ASI Auditor’s. The second meeting will be planned soon to come up for the conclusion and it will be discussed during the next EC Meeting.
17. ASICON 2020 – Dr. P. Raghu Ram
Honorary Secretary Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain requested Dr. P. Raghu Ram, Immediate Past President to speak about the ASICON 2020.
Dr. P. Raghu Ram, Immediate Past President thanked all the Principal Office Bearers and Director of Academics for the excellent co-operation during the Annual Conference and made it success. He informed the house that 46 lacs have been received as sponsorship another 12 lacs are due, 16 lacs 40 thousand as registration money and expected expenditure of about 16 lacs making savings close to 60 lacs as profit to ASI more than 2018 & 2019. He followed strict
accounting policies to maintain utmost transparency.
18. ASICON 2021 – Dr. P. V. Ramanamurthy
Honorary Secretary Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain requested Dr. Ramana Murthy, Organizing Secretary ASICON 2021 to brief about the progress of ASICON 2021.
Dr. Ramana Murthy, Organizing Secretary ASICON 2021 informed to the house about the Meetings held with State Chapter Executives.
Further he informed about the opening of new account in the name of ASICON 2021 will be made shortly and the previous account will be closed (ASICON 2020) due to technical reasons.
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi, tried to forecast the uncertain future due to COVID. He requested Dr. Ramanamurthy and others (Dr. Santa Rao and Dr. Ganni Bhaskar) to be careful in making commitments to vendors like hotel booking, catering and others which involve huge financial burden. He requested Dr. Ramana Murthy to take care of commitments and negotiate beforehand.
19. Status of IAPS & IASO Sections
Honorary Secretary Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain informed to the house about the letters received from IASO & IAPS regarding to move away from ASI. ASI has sent letter to both the Section to submit the Minutes of the Meetings where decisions are taken and requested them regarding status of their Constitution position. There is no response till date.
IPP Dr. Raghu Ram spoke about IASO in their two GBMs passing a resolution to opt out of ASI but has perhaps opted stay back The final status of both the Section will be discussed in detail during the next EC Meeting.
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi suggested to have their programs during the ASICON for the benefit of Postgraduates despite their separation if any.
Dr. B K C Mohan Prasad also suggested to have their lectures during the ASICON for the benefit of Postgraduates.
20. Announcement of Specialty Section (by rotation)
1. Association of Surgeons of Rural India (ASRI)
2. Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology (IASG)
3. Indian Association of Surgical Oncology (IASO) (If opts out- next in sequence may be invited)
Honorary Secretary Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain requested the President to take a decision on IASO should include or not. To this President Dr. Abhay Dalvi suggested to send one more letter to IASO and if they agreed to continue will include or else ATVSI will be considered.
21. Any other matter – With the permission of the Chair
Honorary Secretary Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain informed about the mail received from Dr. K S Gopinath. He requested the President to discuss. President Dr. Abhay Dalvi informed about
the Court case filed by Dr. K S Gopinath against ASI is still pending and he requested the house to take a decision in this regard. Also, he informed that it has been already resolved during the EC Meeting conducted by Dr. P. Raghu Ram, ratified by GB on 19th December 2020 that no terminated Member has to be taken back to ASI.
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi requested the EC Members from Karnataka Chapter for their comments. Dr. G Siddesh, Vice President ASI informed about the painful decisions were already taken for the betterment of ASI. Dr. Shivram also expressed similar views. After discussion, it was decided that the application is rejected.
President Dr. Abhay Dalvi and Dr. CRK Prasad congratulated Dr. P. Raghu Ram, Immediate Past President ASI for getting highest honor from British Empire.
22. Vote of thanks – Dr. C R K Prasad, Hon. Treasurer ASI
Dr. C R K Prasad, Honorary Treasurer proposed vote of thanks.
23. National anthem
The meeting was adjourned after the Nation Anthem.
Dr. Abhay Dalvi Dr. Sanjay Kumar Jain
President ASI Honorary Secretary ASI